Thinking about Thinking...

THINKING ERRORS 8

Stress Management for Health Course

Example of ABC, Stressful Thinking/Feelings Identification Log

Example ABC, Stressful Thinking/Feelings Identification Log

(A)

Activating event, write down details of the event

(B)

Beliefs/self talk, thoughts, attitudes, images, assumptions, opinions about event at (A), write down automatic negative thoughts

(C)

Consequences/Emotions, write down your resulting unpleasant emotions eg stress, anxious, tense, angry, frustration

· Making a mistake at work

· “I’ll get the sack”

· “I’m stupid”

· Worry

· Anxious

· Giving a presentation

· “They won’t like it

· I’ll make a fool of myself

· Embarrassed

· Frightened/scared

· Car breaks down

· “Why does this always happen to me”

· “It will cost me a fortune to repair”

· Frustrated

· Your son/daughter fails an exam

· “I’m a failure as a parent”

· “They won’t get a good job”

· Depressed

· Partner has not returned home at usual time

· “They have been in an accident and are in hospital”

· Frightened

· Anxious