Thinking about Thinking...

PRINCIPLES OF CHARACTER - CITIZENSHIP

Are You a Good Citizen?
(Take this self-evaluation and find out.)

True
False

I take responsibility for what goes on in my community.

I do my part for the common good.

I participate in community service.

I help take care of the environment.

I obey the law.
I help make our democracy work by voicing my opinions, voting, and participating in the decision making process.
I think I am/am not a good citizen because: ______________________

Remember, citizenship is social responsibility in action!


Citizenship

Do your share to make your school and community better • Cooperate • Get involved in community affairs • Stay informed; vote • Be a good neighbor • Obey laws and rules • Respect authority • Protect the environment



6. CITIZENSHIP

Citizenship includes civic virtues and duties that prescribe how we ought to behave as part of a community. The good citizen knows the laws and obeys them, yes, but that’s not all. She volunteers and stays informed on the issues of the day, the better to execute her duties and privileges as a member of a self-governing democratic society. She does more than her "fair" share to make society work, now and for future generations. Such a commitment to the public sphere can have many expressions, such as conserving resources, recycling, using public transportation and cleaning up litter. The good citizen gives more than she takes.